What is a Thermoblock?

A thermoblock or thermocoil takes water from the reservoir in an espresso machine and heats it on the fly, versus heating up a full boiler of water. This technology is commonly seen on home espresso machines, where it manages either the brew function, steam function or both. The benefit of a thermoblock is that it doesn’t take as long for your machine to heat up for either brew or steam; however, the drawback can be that your temperature for brew or steam is not quite as consistent as you might like.

Gail introduces us to a few different varieties of thermoblocks/thermocoils and shows how they compare to a standard boiler (specifically, the internals of the Breville Dual Boiler).

Special thanks to Breville for providing the sample internals for this video!

13 comments for “What is a Thermoblock?

1. Paul
    June 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm

What makes the thermoblock go tick-tick-tick (or wham-wham-wham) as it puts water/steam out?

June 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm

The pump pulling water from the reservoir and moving it through the thermoblock.

2. David
    June 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Wow thanks for the tutorial!!!!

3. Maureen Luby
    June 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I have an older model expresso machine from Starbucks, it is no longer available. I believe that the problem with my machine is the Thermoblock coil. Can these coils be repaired? The machine I have has not been used all that much so this should not have happened. Please can you give me advice on this issue? thank you, m.luby.

June 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

The Starbucks Barista machines were a variety of private label espresso machines that are still available under their original manufacturer brand. Most often they were Saeco semi-automatics (either the Aroma or the Via Venezia) or Saeco Superautomatics (very similar to the Incanto) and they can be repaired. What’s going on with the machine?

4. Paul
    November 14, 2012 at 2:10 am

vERY INFORMATIVE. tELL ME, DOES THE bREVILLE EXPRESS UNIT HAVE THAT CIRULCAR THERMOCOIL, OR THE OLDER TWO-PIECE DESIGN?

November 14, 2012 at 8:34 am

It depends on the model; the 840XL and the newer Barista Express models have the thermocoil; older models have the two part design.

5. Thomas
    January 3, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hi Kat,

Thank you for the video, I really appreciate it. If I would like to purchase a thermocoil like that, where would i go to get one? And what type of pumps would I need to get to pump water?

Thank you so much!!!

Thomas

January 4, 2013 at 9:57 am

I don’t know where you’d purchase one separately; these are manufactured specifically for Breville wherever they produce their machines. I doubt they have them available for general sale as it’s a tech advantage for their machines over other models.

6. Sabrina
    November 21, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hi Gail!
    Do you have any video with how do these units measure the water volume? Do they count electrolytes, or just knowing the debit it measures the timeā€¦I own BES870 (thermo coil)

November 25, 2013 at 8:29 am

Are you talking about the volumetric programming? If so, then it actually counts the number of rotations on the flow meter.