This week, I decided to take a departure from my usual chocolate and espresso combo. Well, sort of. You see, I made these really yummy candied espresso walnuts. They were good as is, they really were! But for the next batch I added some chocolate, just to up the ante. The results? Still really delicious candied espresso walnuts.
The moral of that story is twofold: 1) I am clearly obsessed with chocolate and can’t handle a week without it, and 2) With or without chocolate, you really need to try these!
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely ground espresso beans (yep, I used Velton’s Twilight Blend again – it is that good!)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg white
- 4 cups walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Spray baking sheet with vegetable oil
- Combine sugar, espresso, cinnamon and kosher salt in a bowl
- In another bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy
- Dip walnuts in egg mixture, then toss to coat in sugar mixture
- Spread coated walnuts on cookie sheet in a single layer
- Bake 5 minutes
- Stir walnuts, loosening from cookie sheet and rearranging back into a single layer
- Bake another 5 minutes, or until walnuts are dry to the touch
- Remove walnuts from oven, loosen with spatula and let cool on baking sheet
I can say that these were super easy to make (probably the easiest recipe I’ve made so far) and should probably become a staple in your recipe box. I mean, everyone has a recipe box, right?