Recipe: Double Shot Mocha Cupcakes
We were poking around for a cupcake recipe for an upcoming party and we found this delicious concoction. Sounds quite lovely — we can’t wait to make them!
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat coconut milk until hot (but not boiling).
- Put coffee grounds into a fine sieve, pour coconut milk over grounds and allow to seep through.
- Whisk sugar, oil and vanilla extract in to coffee mixture. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to wet ingredients and beat until no (or very few) lumps remain.
- Pour into liners, filling each with a scant 1/4 cup of batter. Bake 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- For frosting, sift together powdered sugar & cocoa. Cream butter and add to sugar mixture slowly. Add salt and coffee. Beat 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.