This week’s recipe has a simplistic name that called out to me: Coffee Lover’s Dessert. Now really, with a name like that, how could I not try it?
- 10 large marshmallows or 100 miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee (I used Caffe Umbria’s Terra Sana Blend)
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and coffee over low heat
- Melt, stirring frequently
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature
- Fold in whipped cream
- Spoon into dishes and chill before serving
Short and sweet, right? I made the original and two variations: chocolate chip and coconut*. All of them were rich, sweet and had a firm mousse-like texture.
The original is like a dessert version of taking your coffee with (a lot of) sugar and cream, while the coconut version was like a sweet latte drink. As for the chocolate chip? Well, the alternating textures just didn’t work well in this recipe.
If you have a massive sweet tooth, this one’s for you!
* To make the variations, add Monin coconut syrup before removing the marshmallow and coffee mixture from heat or fold in chocolate chips with the whipped cream.