Blind Taste Test: Technivorm KB741 vs. Breville YouBrew

Sure, we dig all the bells n’ whistles Breville’s new grind and brew coffee maker has — a little shiny shiny goes a looooong way in our world. But does its brew actually stand up against the dearly loved Technivorm from which the crew drinks their morning java every day?

We brewed up two pots and had Jess, Brandon and Allison give us their opinion regarding which one they preferred.

8 comments for “Blind Taste Test: Technivorm KB741 vs. Breville YouBrew

1. Paul
    December 4, 2011 at 6:06 am

Please check out the grinder function using different strength settings. I am curious how well the Youbrew grinder performs. I have had variable results with mine and at times coffee has seemed weak.

December 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm

The grinder that is built into this machine doesn’t produce a really full bodied cup of coffee. We are hoping they will improve this in future generations.

2. Terrie
    February 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

First, I want to thank you and your team for posting all your videos and opinions on the equipment. You are most helpful when it comes to making a purchasing decision (if I lived closer, I’d be in your store in a heartbeat!).

I was just looking at the Breville, after already viewing my local Technivorm at WS store. Was on the fence until I saw your taste test. THANK YOU so much for posting! I always know I can count on you for your opinions!

February 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hi Terrie -

Great to hear that the videos are working for you! Let us know if you have any other questions as you’re researching :)

3. Belinda
    May 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

So, does this mean the crew now use the Breville Youbrew for their morning java or are they still using the Technivorm? I am on the fence in deciding which one to purchase.

May 7, 2012 at 9:38 am

We have two Technivorms and a YouBrew going, actually :) I think that if you have a separate grinder already, going with the Technivorm is the better choice; if you don’t, the YouBrew.

4. Mike
    December 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

hey, really liked your video. I’ve been in need of a good coffee maker for awhile. I started with the cuisinart dcc 1200 but returned it after reading a lot of negative reviews and thinking that the Hamilton beach 2 way brew would fulfill All Of my needs. Well after trying it for a little while I must say that the features were great but that the coffee was noT. The coffee was weak anD lacking in heaT. So I returned that machine as well. Anyway I know the youbrew is more expensive than Both of those two combined but if it can make good coffee in addition to all Of its features then I can justify the price. I’ve also read a lot of good things on the technivorm but it’s really just lacking in features. Is there a coffee maker out there that has these programmable features and makes a decent cup oF joe? Is the YouBrew what I’ve been looking for all along? Thanks for any advice or guidance.

P.s. I’m not sure why, This post is in all caps. Sorry about that.

December 10, 2012 at 8:06 am

If you want the grind & brew functionality, then the YouBrew is definitely where it’s at :) It has great features but the cup is awesome, too — great temperature stability that results in a great cup.

The most recent versions (specifically the glass carafe model) have a tweaked grinder so definitely make a richer pot of coffee. Plus you can do single cups as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions – thanks!