The Great SCG Stovetop Video

For years we have had folks ask us about this and we were finally able to coerce Rade (our resident stovetop espresso aficionado) to take us through the whys and hows of this ancient art.

Watch as he talks about the different features of the stovetop models that we carry, the basic process this prep method involves and steams us up a rich and hearty brew. Yummy!

11 comments for “The Great SCG Stovetop Video

1. Olivia
    October 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi Kat

I love this video! But I was wondering whether all Bialetti Moka Express’s were made from chrome plated aluminium, even if not specified.

Thank you!

October 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Olivia –

I believe everything that is being manufactured currently is; but older models are the straight up aluminum material with no coating. I’d guess anything made within the last few years is safe.

2. Olivia
    October 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for your reply. Just another really quick question.

What does polished aluminium mean?
    What does 6-cup mean in terms of volume?

Thank you!
    Olivia

October 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

I don’t believe polished aluminum is chromed; just shiny vs. a brushed look. The stovetops are traditionally designed to be diluted, so 6 cup is roughly 6 – 8 oz of total volume produced; it will generally fill a large American size mug.

3. Libby
    October 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hi Kat

I was wondering if you can help me with a problem. I’ve got a moka pot at home and I used it both today and yesterday with the same coffee and grind. Yesterday the coffee was bitter and so I thought I might have left the pot on the heat for too long so today I removed the pot from the heat just as it started to spout and it left me with a coffee which was thin and sour.

What should I do?!

Thanks
    Libby

October 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I spoke with Rade — he hasn’t had had any difference in flavor, but he doesn’t really keep it on much longer after it starts gurgling so he takes it off the stove at that time. It’s going to have a lot to do with your grind and your unit’s overall volume, so I’d experiment with different times of heat, etc. We’re also going to experiment with starting out with hot water to see if that is beneficial, so stay tuned :)

4. Dan
    October 18, 2011 at 10:10 am

Give this man his own show! Would love to see a video on Turkish coffee complete with non-family friendly commentary. ;)

October 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Yes, Rade is awesome!!

He is going to do a Turkish one for us — we’re looking into some gear and he’s testing which (if any) of our grinders will go that fine … so stay tuned :D

5. Joel
    January 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I have purchased 7 Bialetti Moka pots recently and returned all but two because the interior of the boiler (and the interior of the top portion on one unit) had a very poorly plated surface. The plating material is very rough and in the bottom crease of the boiler it flakes off. I tried one of the units and saw the sparkling silver metal flakes floating in my Moka. The two Mokas I kept have very smooth interior surfaces in their boilers with no flaking. I’m not sure if they are plated or not. What’s better, Moka brewed in aluminum or Moka brewed with some unknown plating material flaking into the brew? Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks!

January 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thanks for posting this! It’s not something we have heard from customers, but I’m sure others will post if they’ve experienced this, too. None of our demo models have had this problem.