Recipe: Chocolate Hazelnut Espresso Shortbread
Get a double whammy of java when you pair this decadent Chocolate Hazelnut Espresso Shortbread with your favorite caffeinated drink. Great for breakfast, an afternoon snack or an after dinner treat, indulge yourself in it’s buttery goodness.
Chocolate Hazelnut Espresso Shortbread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso or coffee (or finely ground espresso beans)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional, to drizzle)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, espresso and salt. Add butter and vanilla and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add nuts; blend until finely chopped.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Knead just until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and press each into an 8″ or 9” round cake pan, or tart pan with removable bottom. If you like, press around the edge with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until set. Cool on a wire rack, then cut each shortbread round into 12 wedges.
- Makes about two dozen wedges.
Recipe: Dinner with Julie