- Cocoa powder for dusting pans
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Chocolate shavings (optional)
Coffee Buttercream Icing
- 2 sticks of softened butter
- 6 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cold espresso
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 3 (8-inch) round pans and dust with cocoa.
- Place the espresso, brown sugar and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until the chocolate melts and the brown sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture, beating well.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl to combine. Beat the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture alternately with the milk.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- To make Coffee Buttercream Icing, beat 2 sticks of softened butter and 6 cups of powdered sugar on medium speed with an electric mixer. Beat in 1/4 cup cold espresso and 2 tablespoons cream until smooth.
- When completely cool, frost between layers, on top and sides with Coffee Buttercream Icing. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings. Makes 12 servings.
Recipe: The Dallas Morning News