Espresso as an essential ingredient with meat is not anything new around these parts! This particular Espresso Steak Rub will give your next meal the kick it needs and an earthy natural flavor that will pop. Who says January is too early to fire up that grill?!
- 1/2 cup ancho or chile powder
- 1/4 cup ground coffee — espresso fine
- 4 tablespoons hot or sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yellow mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chile powder.
- 2 New York Strip Steaks, each about 8 oz. and 1-inch thick
- Mix all the ingredients together and season two refrigerated New York Strip Steaks in the mixture.
- Set the steaks aside and let them come up to room temperature before grilling on medium to high heat.
- Grill steaks until cooked to your preference, about 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes before serving.
- For a little flare, mix a few tablespoons of rub into a 1/2 stick of butter and place it on top of the steak when serving.
- Extra steak rub should be stored in an airtight container. Makes about 1 and 1/2 cups.
Recipe: The Persnickety Palate