Custards are a great holiday season dessert, and here’s a delicious recipe for Espresso Flan that will put a little pep in your step. Enjoy!
- 6 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 11/3 cups white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 11/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped of seeds
- 1 heaping teaspoon espresso coffee grounds
- 11/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Whisk eggs and yolks together, add sugar, salt and cream. Mix well. Add vanilla seed and pulp and continue
whisking. Allow to rest 15 minutes so vanilla can infuse custard.
- In the meantime, heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan; add sugar and then water. Heat on high stirring constantly until sugar melts and caramel color develops. Be careful not to burn. Remove from heat and spoon 2 teaspoons each into 5, 6-inch diameter ramekins and allow to firm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- After custard has rested strain through a fine sieve to remove strands of egg white. Stir in espresso. Lightly brush sides of ramekins and the caramel with melted butter or coat with cooking spray.
- Fill ramekins about two-thirds full with custard and place in baking pan about the same height as the ramekins. Add tap water to the baking pan to the same level of the custard. Bake about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool to desired serving temperature.
- To serve: Run a knife around edge, place serving plate over ramekin and flip over. Scrape out any residual caramel and drizzle over flan.