Who doesn’t love a little voodoo in their coffee cup every now and again? We were thumbing through Betty Rosbottom’s book Coffee: Scrumptious Drinks and Treats, looking for a yummy concoction to spice up these darkening autumn days, when we happened upon this recipe for Cafe Brulot that we just had to try — and share.
- 3 thin orange slices, quartered
- 3 thin lemon slices, quartered
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks, coarsely chopped
- 20 cloves
- 2 cups freshly brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup brandy
- Prepare 6 warm demitasse cups and saucers
- Put the orange and lemon slices, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a medium, non-reactive saucepan.
- Add the coffee and set pan over very low heat, just to keep the coffee warm while you flame the brandy.
- Put the brandy in a small saucepan and set it over medium-high heat. When the brandy just starts to boil, avert your face and flame the brandy with a lit, wooden match.
- Turn off the heat and when the flame in the brandy goes out after a few seconds, add the brandy to the coffee.
- To serve, ladle the coffee, brandy, fruit and spice mixture into the demitasse cups.
Makes 6 4-5 oz. servings.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!